Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 23, 2018

A Viewer Writes: Worwic Programs

Hey Joe,

Just found out that WorWic has decided to discontinue the Construction Technology / Computer-Aided Drafting program without telling any of the current program students. My son is 2 semesters into the program and found out by getting the fall class schedule and having no classes to take.

He was told that similar classes will be available under their continuing ed program, however they will not lead to a certificate, degree, or be able to transfer to other schools. Basically, we paid for classes toward a now defunct degree. A degree for which they gladly took our money (we paid full costs, no grant) without informing us of their intentions.

I don't know how many students are in the program, but I'm pretty sure none were told they were wasting their money.

A concerned, and angry, parent

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds about right, someone should ask Ray Hoy how much Worwic has lost on the stupid golf course they got for "free".

Anonymous said...

Anyone at Parkside know this since they offer this to advance? Especially the CADD program

Anonymous said...

Could that be a breach of contract, since they were lead to believe it was an accredited degree program. They were deceived into believing through a verbal contract they would receive a degree upon entering the program.

Anonymous said...

Rebates should be heading everyone's way that is enrolled in any disappearing major.

Anonymous said...

they did the same thing to me when they did away with the computer programming degree but my classes were able to be transferred to SU ro the business degree.

Anonymous said...

First off, I had this happen to me under the electrical engineering program, but I was notified that I had to complete all classes that were being removed before a certain time frame, they gave us like 3 semesters... Luckily, I did all of my core electrical classes first, and pushed back all the math and science I could when I first started... Since all I needed was 2 physics classes, and since they were not going away, I could take them at my leisure and still get my degree...

I also at the same time was completing the Architecture/CADD/construction program and only need 4 or 5 more classes to complete... Since it was not my registered major, I have not received any info regarding this... I am sure your child got notified but forgot or didn't say anything, as I was notified for the electrical program being shut down... Why would they notify us for that but not you for your child's??? Makes no sense, sounds fishy...

Wor-wic knows this would be a major lawsuit, so check with your kid before you run your mouth about how someone gave you the slip...

Anonymous said...

Keep us updated as to if you get
your money refunded.

Anonymous said...

Wor Wic needs to get their act together soon.

Anonymous said...

Discontinued several programs in the same way, AA in secretarial studies is one.

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you something else - Wor Wic also discontinued it's Electronic Engineering Associate degree program.

I also would like to know what gives over there.

Anonymous said...

Once a student is enrolled, they are contacted. Not the parent. Unless the student signs permission. It is the law and comes under personal information. I know because I used to work there and had to explain it to upset parents who weren't aware their children were failing. Even as a dual enrolled student I do not have access to my sons information.

Anonymous said...

I wrote this letter. I have access to his worwic account and he shows me all letters from school. No notice. And if you go to their website, it still shows the program as being one of their degree programs.